Monday, January 26, 2009

Searching for Happiness...

Often life oscillates between what could have been and what will be…in the midst of which I forget what is! I think that happens to most of us – always ruefully or fondly remembering the past and weaving nascent dreams for future! What easily goes for a toss then is the PRESENT – the time that is…the time we are living in…NOW!

And funnily, every time we read it, or hear someone saying it or even think of it ourselves, it makes perfect sense that we should get back to making the most of what we have now, rather than cribbing about any other phase of life. But it rarely ever happens. Even if it does happen, it is just momentary.

Over time, through fleeting incidents that life offers and chance meeting with interesting people, I have grown to realize that unlike what I thought earlier – happiness and sadness are nothing but a state of mind over which we have full control and command. It is how we choose, and how we live, that determines our reactions to different situations in our life and the decisions that we make and/or are forced to make!

When I open up my mind and heart there is so much more clarity in what I observe in the world outside. There is a 65 year old widow sitting in the confines of her tiny little house in a small town in Gujarat living amidst ill-health, leaky roofs in monsoons, limited expenses and without partner - none of which act as deterrents and her faith in Almighty makes her believe that she is the ‘happiest’ a person can be with no hardships at all. And there is a 100 year old man who cannot move around on his own but still holds the spirit which can put youngsters to shame and has interesting anecdotes to share about his doting family and simple life!

These were just few very personal insights. But there are many more, which each of us encounter in our day to day life but conveniently ignore. There I was nursing a hurt and feeling as if a part of me went missing. And then one day I decided to wake up from my selfish slumber and open my eyes to view people around. There were so many things that I just took for granted which were mere starry eyed luxuries in other people’s lives. It reminds me of how Will Smith's character went through the painful struggle against poverty and ill-luck to finally make it to the top and experience the sweet taste of success in the movie 'The Pursuit of Happyness'. There are so many people like him who right from birth belong to noone and carve their own way as they grow up and embrace this struggle. They have never seen the faces of parents or loved ones who guide them and inspire them to reach new heights and live a meaningful life. Either they just figure it all out or they get lost in the ambiguity of the world that braces million others.

And then there are people who are not blessed with an active mind but they want to live a ‘normal life’. We come across people with unusual talents but being zeroed to ordinary just because they have an essential part of their physical bodies missing. Imagine waking up one morning and not being able to see the sunrise. Imagine not being able to hear the symphonies of music. Imagine not being able to touch or feel or get pleasure from the little things in life. Hard to imagine? Most definitely. Taken for granted? Maybe! Imagine being the single bread earner and working to your fullest capacity to fulfill your dream of a home, secure future for your family and a comfortable lifestyle and waking up crippled one morning. Scary to imagine? Hell yeah…!

I reflect back and evaluate – I have a wonderfully supportive family who has stuck by me through thick and thin, a well paying job, a good career path, am blessed with few great friends, perfect senses and healthy body, comfortable lifestyle and an active mind that dreams colorfully. And here I am losing myself over a few things that did not culminate pleasantly. When did they occupy so much importance in my life that I forgot to count my blessings? Why did I begin imagining an incomplete existence without those few things which had still not taken any shape and form? Did I not just define my happiness around some unpleasant and unsure factors? I guess I did… and that’s where I need to step in for damage control.

They say ‘Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.’ I am not saying it is easy to forget and move on. But atleast I have to make an effort of being thankful for so many things that God has given me – some even without asking, rather than blaming him for what he did not give me. Yes I need to change and understand God’s connotation behind this message. A journey has to begin – a journey of soul searching and finding eternal happiness. A journey of not only working hard towards a goal, but also enjoying the struggle to achieve it. A journey of interacting with people and being sensitive towards them but not losing myself in the bargain. Never again. This is a challenging journey but it should not be too hard. The least I can begin with is appreciating the miracle called life and the gift called nature. It is never too late. I remember a striking line from a poem, Leisure that we had when in school –

‘What is this life so full of care, we have no time to stand and stare…’

1 comment:

Rushin Shah said...

Hey,
Knowing you so well, I am extremely pleasantly surpised to see the optimism that you've shown in the post. I think I deserve some of the credit, don't I? ;)

Jokes apart, it's wonderful to see you finally finding peace with yourself. I always say, "Life is too short to be spent cribbing for sorrows."

So, Keep Smiling and Enjoy Life. :)